I would like, at some point in my life, to do a triathlon. So I got pretty excited this morning when I was paging through unread blog posts in my google reader and came across a post about this because it seems doable, and I like the fact that it is all women, and it seems like I always hear good things about this particular triathlon. And there’s one in Philadelphia which seems like a city that I gravitate to when I race.
So for a moment I was like, “Woo!! A triathlon!! I’m signing up RIGHT NOW!” Then I remembered why I haven’t done a triathlon yet:
1) I am terrified of open water swims (even though I spent years swimming competitively. It has nothing to do with the swimming and/or fear of drowning, it’s the open water and not being able to tell what’s below/around me).
2) I have no idea how to train for something like this (easily remedied, obvs. And I could always ask this expert).
3) I don’t actually have a bike in the city with me right now (also easily remedied).
4) The gear aspect sort of frightens me. For example, if I am just doing this for the sake of doing it, do I need to invest in stuff like a wetsuit? a fancy bike? At what point do you get really serious about those things?
5) How do you deal with transition areas?
6) I don’t have access to a pool (I guess somewhat easily remedied, though not as easily as #3).
What this boils down to is that I want to do this, but I don’t really understand how to. This is so much more complicated than running a marathon!
What do you all think? Have you done a triathlon? Do you want to? Do you worry about these things, too, or am I (once again) just neurotic?
On an unrelated note, thanks to everyone for their thoughtful and supportive feedback about my anxiety-laden post from a few days back. It helped to hear about others’ experiences and I managed to go for two runs between Friday and Sunday! Outside!! Progress 🙂